You are here: Gallery Home > Projects >

Project - WF13 Mostly Masking and Sablona Challenges

Stats
360 Views
1 Like
11 Comments
1 Bookmark
Actions

11  Comments

So bright and happy! Love this and the things you used to achieve this look! Great!

TFS! good job!!

Such excitement in this card. One feels as if the stars are coming off the card at you! Nicely done!

So bright and cheery! A great birthday card! Love it!

Love the colors! What a fun card!!!

What a fun birthday card! Love all the different stars!

Fun and festive birthday card! I really like the added sketching. Gotta love happy accidents, that star stamp is perfect! Thanks for the step by step.

Project - WF13 Mostly Masking and Sablona Challenges
About this project


Project - WF13 Mostly Masking and Sablona Challenges
by Crafty Pea
posted 02/10/13 at 08:18 AM
Galleries: Stamping, Cardmaking

I made a 6 x 6 birthday card for Winterfest 13. It is for both Anne’s Sablona (stencil) challenge and Daniel’s Mostly Masking challenge.

I cut stars on my Cameo to use as masks.

I used smooth cream cardstock as my base. I used an 8’” piece of cardstock with a star cut out of it as a mortise mask overlaid with a chicken wire stencil. I wanted a star that would “bleed” off the card face to add interest and positioned it at an angel to add more interest. I then used orange ink with an ink blending tool to make the large star.

I then removed the mask and stencil and added turquoise outlining to the star. I wanted it to have a sketchy look (not criminally suspicious sketchy, but artsy sketchy - a little joke for anyone who reads this long description).

I then used the solid star shape cut from the previously used mask as a regular mask to meet Daniel’s requirement of using both types of masking. I used small star masks cut on the Cameo to add a bit more pizazz to the background. I did not line up the solid star to exactly cover the orange star but went over the edge a bit to add a halo effect - a small gap between the orange star and the background. Since it wasn’t lined up exactly, I had to do the teal inking in sections. I used the ink blending tool again with teal ink.

It looked okay at this point, but I wanted to add more details to the background. I filled in some of the small stars with stamping. I used green ink and a stamp that fit the small stars almost exactly. The sizes matching was a happy accident. I wasn’t concerned about the star stamp lining up perfectly. I then added black sketchy lines to some of the other small stars.

I heat embossed three solid stars to the interior using silver glitter embossing powder. And finished by stamping the sentiment.

Whew! Long description, but it was fun to make and easier than writing these directions!

Chicken wire stencil - Crafter’s Workshop
Distress Ink - Spiced Marmalade, Peacock Feathers, and Mowed Lawn
Black ink - Archival Ink from Ranger
Tools - Inkssentials Ink Blending Tool and Silhouette Cameo
Sentiment stamp - Co-branded Doodlebug and Hampton Arts (no set name listed)
Solid star stamp - My Mind’s Eye (12 Days of Christmas set)
Other star stamp - Pink Paislee (365 Degrees set)
Embossing powder - Ranger Embossing Tinsel in silver (I LOVE this product)

Hide
{* title *}
{* icon *}
{* body *}
{* footer *}