Challenge - Digital Challenges :Using the Clone Tool
by Sande Krieger
Oh - the clone tool! What a fabulous invention. You can get rid of something as small as a speck of dust or something as large as your entire background!
This weeks challenge is to clone something...anything. Just get that tool out and use it. It doesn't have to be perfect - we just want you to try it if you haven't used it before and for those of you who are pros - we want to see how you use it.
I used it to remove the flash off my glasses and eye. (See pages 2&3)
I've included a few screen shots as to where to find it if you're using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (the tool icon will look the same but will be in a different place on your tool bar). The keyboard short cut is S. (See page 4)
Here are a couple of tips:
1. Always work on a copy of your background layer. Hit Control J (Command J on the Mac) to copy your background layer. That way if you don't like the results you can throw that layer away. (See Page 5)
2. Hold down the Alt or Option key to choose the area in your photo that you want to use to replace the area you want to get rid of (when you hold down the option key you should get a cursor symbol that looks like a bullseye - just click on the area that you want to use).
In my photo, I used both sides of the glasses and met in the middle. I would hold down my Alt (Option) key and select the left side of my glasses and work on it a little then hold down my Alt (Option) key and select the right side of my glasses and work on it a little. Moving towards the middle so that the glasses part that I was replacing lined up. (See Page 6)
3. Use your Options Bar at the top of your page (See Page 7). You can control the opacity, brush size, blending mode and flow of your brush from this location.
4. Use the Blending Modes (See Page 8). By changing your blending mode from Normal to Lighten or Darken you can control what information you are copying and pasting. If you just want to copy the light areas - choose Lighten and if you want just the dark areas - choose Darken.
5. Be patient! Cloning can take time. Don't expect to become a master overnight.