Who to call if a traffic light is timed wrong?

Two Peas is Closing
Click here to visit our final product sale. Click here to visit our FAQ page regarding the closing of Two Peas.

Posted 8/23/2011 by scrapulous in NSBR Board

Ancient Ancestor of Pea

PeaNut 118,732
December 2003
Posts: 7,528
Layouts: 2

Posted: 8/23/2011 7:57:12 AM
They re-timed (or whatever you call it) a traffic light near my house recently. All of a sudden it now stays red for THREE whole minutes. Every time. This is MUCH longer than it used to stay red, and traffic really stacks up.

Who do I contact to see what's up with that? I'm in between two cities, in an unincorporated area. Maybe I call the county?


PeaNut 498,237
February 2011
Posts: 3,407
Layouts: 0
Loc: SW

Posted: 8/23/2011 8:05:53 AM
Most places have a traffic engineer in charge of lights. I don't know if they go by other titles but I would start there.


PeaNut 116,261
November 2003
Posts: 25,809
Layouts: 102

Posted: 8/23/2011 8:08:08 AM
I'm watching this thread, because we have a mistimed light by us.


May we be consumed with the Creator of all things rather than with things created.

6 rings - no cheating! Go STEELERS!

Holding a grudge is letting someone live rent-free in your head.

Stacy in UT

PeaNut 7,959
November 2000
Posts: 2,942
Layouts: 57
Loc: West Jordan, UT

Posted: 8/23/2011 8:15:38 AM
You could call the cities public works department.


PeaNut 92,546
June 2003
Posts: 803
Layouts: 0
Loc: Broken Arrow, OK

Posted: 8/23/2011 8:50:09 AM
If you can't find the number to your local Public Works office, just call your City Hall and they can direct you to the right place.

*****Adversity does not build character....it reveals character!*******

Mom to the Wild Things.

PeaNut 96,783
July 2003
Posts: 28,225
Layouts: 0
Loc: Altoona, Alabama

Posted: 8/23/2011 9:28:29 AM
They might be adjusting that light to relieve congestion at another spot. So call and let them know they may have a problem one place for one in another. Also, weekday light timing and weekend timing are often not the same.

Who has my six? Anyone??

PeaNut 3,009
February 2000
Posts: 16,711
Layouts: 27
Loc: the left side of the right coast

Posted: 8/23/2011 10:09:23 AM
The local public works or transportation department, FOR THE LOCATION OF THE LIGHT depending on if it's in an incorporated city or outside of one in a county.



PeaNut 100,223
August 2003
Posts: 14,023
Layouts: 15
Loc: Utah

Posted: 8/23/2011 10:12:46 AM
I had to call 911 once because the lights were timed so wrong there were two green lights for intersecting traffic! That doesn't help you - but hey, just remember - it could be worse.


PeaNut 232,220
November 2005
Posts: 2,919
Layouts: 1
Loc: Humble, TX

Posted: 8/23/2011 10:28:54 AM
We have large metal boxes near the lights where they actually change the lights. On the outside of the box there is a phone number. I have it saved in my phone because at least a few times a year the light near my house gets stuck on red.

Ancient Ancestor of Pea

PeaNut 134,808
March 2004
Posts: 6,434
Layouts: 4
Loc: East Coast

Posted: 8/23/2011 11:07:34 AM
If you are in an unincorporated area, start with your state department of transportation. Ask for the traffic engineering division. They should be able to tell you who has jurisdiction of that signal.

Three minute cycle lengths are common around here, particularly on high speed signalized arterials.

And I don't think I've EVER heard of a signal controller giving green to two conflicting movements. Each and every signal has a conflict monitor that is hardwired to not allow these types of things to happen. If an errant indication is sent, the conflict monitor drops the signal into flash operation until a tech comes out and fixes the problem and does a hard reset.

Where ever that was that was operating the signal without a conflict monitor should be down on bended knee worshipping the person who reported it. That was a HUGE no-no!

pea brain
What what?

PeaNut 121,521
December 2003
Posts: 6,961
Layouts: 1
Loc: VA....still

Posted: 8/23/2011 12:24:55 PM

If you are in an unincorporated area, start with your state department of transportation.

yeah, that


PeaNut 53,328
October 2002
Posts: 6,323
Layouts: 2
Loc: Bellaire, TX

Posted: 8/23/2011 12:38:22 PM
Not sure where you are, but we dial 311 for stuff like that.

Ancient Ancestor of Pea

PeaNut 118,732
December 2003
Posts: 7,528
Layouts: 2

Posted: 8/23/2011 12:40:58 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll see what I can do!
Show/Hide Icons . Show/Hide Signatures
{{ title }}
{{ icon }}
{{ body }}
{{ footer }}