Don't miss Stamptoberfest over at the stamping board. There are lots of super fun challenges and tons of inspiration. It finishes on Sunday 25 October, so there are still four days to go.
Here's the link:
And the master thread is here:
SOF09 - Shiny Happy People challenge, 17/10/09-25/10/09
I had several ideas for my challenge for Stamptoberfest 2009 and struggled a bit to choose. Since I had the song ‘Shiny happy people’ (by R.E.M.) in my head for several days, I thought it would be a fun theme for a challenge. My challenge consists of two parts, a technique one and a theme one. You can choose to do either one, or both parts. You don't have to do both parts to qualify.
The technique part is to heat emboss several layers of embossing powder and/or UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) to create embellishments or even to cover an entire background. This is such a fun technique and can be used to make faux metal embellishments, but also for lots of other things.
The theme part of the challenge is to make a project using stamps of people (or try constructing people out of ‘non-people’ stamps).
Here are a few ideas and tips regarding building layers of embossing powder:
- Use the technique on chipboard, grungeboard, die-cuts, pieces of paper, big brads, metallic washers, or try covering a big background piece.
- First cover the area with embossing ink, sprinkle on the first layer of embossing powder or UTEE and melt it. Add another layer into the melted powder and continue until you are satisfied with the result.
- Stamp underneath or on top of your layers of embossing powder. To stamp into the melted powder, first ink you stamp. This step conditions the stamp so that it doesn’t get stuck. Wait a few seconds and then place the stamp into the melted powder. Let it cool down a bit before removing the stamp. If you are not happy with the result, just heat it up again. If the edges of the stamp show, carefully heat only those parts to smooth them out.
- Try adding other things into the melted powder, such as glitter, microbeads, a button, etc.
- It is fun to use more than one colour embossing powder. First do a few layers in one colour and then sprinkle a bit of another colour on the top layer.
- If you want to crackle your piece, but it in the freezer for a short while and then bend to create crackles.
- Try making an embellishment using only UTEE and a stamp. If you have a melting pot, use it. I don’t have one, so I usually apply a bit of embossing ink directly to my heat resistant craft sheet, carefully heat it up, and then build up layers as above. I sometimes cut it into a shape before it cools down and heat the edges a bit to smooth them out.
- Be careful not to burn yourself.
- Make a card of any size, an ATC, a layout or any other project, but it must include stamping.
- For the people theme, the person/s has to be stamped or be built up by using stamps (such as if you build a paper doll using different types of stamp). Photos or vintage images of people do not count.
- Post your piece in the stamping gallery, and click the checkbox for ‘SOF09 Shiny Happy People’. It is good if you also include ‘SOF09 Shiny Happy People’ in your title.
- You can combine this challenge with other Stamptoberfest challenges and you may enter as many times you like.
- It is always fun if you link your piece to the discussion thread about this challenge. Also, if you have any comments or questions, please leave them on that thread too.
- The challenge runs between 17 October and 25 October 2009.
Each entry will be entered into a random RAK drawing.
Link to message board thread:www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.asp
Link to sample cards:www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp
Link to second (newly added) sample card: www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp
Have fun!! I am so much looking forward to seeing what you create!
Enjoy Stamptoberfest 2009!!