Here we are in November already, and Thanksgiving is here! Happy Thanksgiving! Today I thought I’d share with you a fun décor project you can whip up pretty quickly. I was inspired by some similar flowers I saw on Pinterest that I just had to try. Seems like I am always working on a square base, so this time we are going …Round! Like I’ve said before, so many of the Fancy Pants Designs Lines can work for projects other than the their obvious “theme". I’m using the “Little Sport” line for this “Thanksgiving” themed project.Fancy Pants Designs supplies
: Ball Game
Little Sport: Player
Little Sport: Basket Ball
Little Sport: Soccer
Little Sport: FootballHome for Christmas
: Glittered Chipboard Alphas & More
Fancy Pants Designs buttonsOther Supplies:
Plastic Charger Plate
Tattered Angel’s mists
Brown ink Instructions:
1. You’ll start with a charger plate like the one below. This one is plastic and was purchased a dollar discount store for $2. Since I painted mine I started by lightly sanding it and then whipped it clean. You certainly don’t have to paint it.
2. I painted my plate with a ivory acrylic paint, (available at almost all craft stores). Don’t worry about being really particular about your painting, because you will sand it a bit after it dries to give it a distressed look.
3. Once the paint is completely dry, sand the edges lightly and scuff it up a bit. (go for it ... you can’t go wrong)
4. If you want, you can add some more color to the plate base using mists, and by inking around the edges with brown ink.
5. Now you can set your plate aside while you work on creating your flowers. You can use whatever size/or sizes of circle punches you like. I used a 1 ¾” inch punch for the larger circles and a 1” for the smaller circles. How many circles you need to punch will depend on how closely you put them together when you create your flower, so just punch out about a dozen to get started and add from there.
6. I found using a hot glue gun worked best for assembling these flowers. Start by adding a button to the center of one of the punched circles. (I used the larger circle simply because I had a bigger area to adhere my other pieces too).
7. For the flower I’m showing here, I alternated plain brown circles with patterned circles to create a multi colored flower. Start with one of the larger circles and squeeze it together (kind of like a taco ) Without actually folding it. Add hot glue to the bottom edge and add it to the circle with the button.
8. Continue all the way around the base circle, using the button as your guide. Remember to alternate your colors if you want to achieve this look.
9. I used my smaller circle punch to add another element to the design, by adding them inside the opposite color or patterned like this. (below)
10. Now it’s time to add your flowers to the charger. Like I said, I found that hot glue worked well. I started by adding a few twigs I picked up outside, then my flowers, and a few leaves I cut out of the brown paper. Just for fun, I gave the entire thing a light mist of Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist. Once that is finished; add your letters and your photo. Now you have a fun piece to set out for the Holiday, or a great gift for a friend or family member.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a chance to give this project a try.